2020 Rules, Policies & Procedures
The CEDIA Awards recognize technical excellence, product innovation, and individual professionals succeeding in the residential electronic systems industry. The CEDIA Awards celebrate the many ways technology enhances the home.
Use this information to gather the required materials and prepare your entry before submitting. Visit cedia.net/awards
to learn how to submit. Questions?
or call 317.328.4336. or +44 (0)1480 213744.
1. General Rules
- Any entry that fails to follow competition rules will be disqualified from the competition.
- Incomplete entries will have no opportunity for re-submission.
- If you need to withdraw an entry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There will be no refunds for entries not submitted.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit per category. (Exception: Product Hall of Fame – one entry per company per year.)
- Any physical materials mailed to CEDIA Headquarters become the property of CEDIA and will not be returned.
- By submitting an entry, you agree to receive any and all emails from CEDIA regarding the CEDIA Awards.
- All submissions must be completed online; entries via mail or email will not be accepted.
- To maintain anonymity, all identifying references are to be removed from any drawings, support documentation, and photos prior to submission.
2. Competition Dates and Entry Fees
Home Technology Professional Competition Opens: January 13, 2020
Home Technology Professional Deadline: March 23, 2020
Manufacturer Competition Opens: February 10, 2020
Manufacturer Deadline: May 14, 2020
Home Technology Professional Members: Free to enter
Manufacturer Members: $300 USD per entry
3. Categories Installation Categories: Home Technology Professional Companies
- Auto, Marine or Aircraft
- Home Cinema
- Integrated Home
- Media Room
- Multiple Dwelling Unit Design
Must be a finalist/winner in another category
- Best Dressed Rack
- Best Documentation
- Best Lighting System
- Life Lived Best at Home
- Technology Meets Design
- Innovative Solution or System
Judging Process and Timeline
- All entries are evaluated and finalists will be selected by industry professionals. (Entrants compete and are recognized within their region — Americas, EMEA, or Asia Pacific — based on their primary location.)
- Additional sub-categories are reviewed and selected by an architectural panel of experts from the design build industry.
- All Regional winners then compete for the Global Awards. Global categories recognized include Home Cinema, Integrated Home, and Media Room.
- Regional finalists will be announced the week of June 8, 2020.
- Americas winners will be announced at the CEDIA Awards and Leadership Conference.
- Asia Pacific winners will be announced at the CEDIA Awards event during the 2020 Integrate Show.
EMEA winners and global winners will be announced at the CEDIA EMEA Awards event, more details coming soon.
Hardware and Software Categories: Trade Supplier/Manufacturer Companies
- Best New Software Product
- Best New Hardware Product
- Product Hall of Fame
Judging Process and Timeline
- All entries are evaluated online, and finalists will be selected by industry professionals. Entrants compete and are recognized within their region, based on their primary location – Americas or EMEA.
- Finalists will be announced the week of August 3, 2020. America’s judges will request demos as necessary from finalists.
- Please note that finalists which are not exhibiting at the 2020 CEDIA Expo may not be able to provide an in-person demo of their product for judges.
- Products selected as finalists in the EMEA region will provide a demo for judges at the CEDIA EMEA office, in St Neots, UK.
- Americas Product winners will be announced and recognized at the 2020 CEDIA EXPO in Denver, CO.
- EMEA Product winners will be announced and recognized at the 2020 EMEA Awards Event, more details coming soon.
4. Entrant Eligibility
- All entrants must be a CEDIA member in good standing.
- For the categories of Auto, Marine or Aircraft; Home Cinema; Innovative Solution or System; Integrated Home, Media Room, Multiple Dwelling Unit Design; and Showroom, the entrant must be a CEDIA Home Technology Professional Member.
- For the categories of Best New Software Product, Best New Hardware Product, and Product Hall of Fame, the entrant must be a CEDIA Manufacturer Member.
5. Entrant Release
By submitting a CEDIA Awards entry, the entrant ("Entrant") grants to the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association ("CEDIA"), a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide license to use, in any manner and in any medium CEDIA determines in its sole discretion provided that such use is consistent with CEDIA's purposes as a trade association, all photographs, depictions, and writings submitted by Entrant, and Entrant hereby agrees to indemnify, defend and hold CEDIA harmless from any and all claims, demands and damages that arise out of or relate to any claims brought by any person or entity to title to or on account of infringement or other use or misuse of such photographs and writings, such damages to include, without limitation, actual, statutory, compensatory, consequential, exemplary and punitive damages and attorneys' fees.
6. Award Use
Recipients of awards presented by CEDIA are allowed to display the awards that they have won from CEDIA. All display or advertisement of such awards must be truthful and may not be misleading, inaccurate, or ambiguous. Specifically, but without limitation, the recipients and member companies who employ individual recipients must abide by the following rules.
- Any company which displays or advertises a CEDIA award must correctly identify the recipient of the award, and if the recipient is an individual employee of the company, the company must state so.
- If the award recipient is an individual, a company may display the award only so long as that individual is employed by the company, unless the individual grants express permission for the company to display the award after termination of the employee’s employment.
- All awards must be displayed or advertised with the correct name of the award.
- The entity that displays the award must state conspicuously: the year in which the award was won, or that the recipient is a “past recipient” of the award.
- Any display or advertisement of the CEDIA award may not include any statement or implication of CEDIA’s approval or sponsorship of the entity displaying the award or any other entity, other than the fact that the award was presented by CEDIA to the recipient.
- No company may display CEDIA’s logo in connection with displaying or advertising the award unless that company is a member of CEDIA, or unless the CEDIA logo is incorporated into the award as presented by CEDIA.
- No entity may alter the appearance of the award itself or any reproduction of the award for display purposes.
- No award may be duplicated or copied except by photographic means and then only for inclusion in advertising the award.
8. Project/Product Eligibility
- Projects entered in Home Technology Professional can only be submitted once, and cannot be resubmitted.
- Projects entered in Home Technology Professional Program must have been completed within the last two years (March 2018 – March 2020) and completed for paying clients.
- All projects entered in the Home Technology Professional Program categories are automatically eligible for the sub-categories of Best Dressed Rack, Best Documentation, Innovative System or Solution and Best Lighting System.
- For the sub-categories, winners must be selected as a finalist/winner in one of the Home Technology Professional Program categories: m. These awards may not be given annually, based on the judge’s discretion.
- For the category of Showroom, projects may be entered more than one year, but can only be selected as a winner once.
- For the categories of Best New Software Product and Best New Hardware Product, the date which the product begins shipping to dealers must fall between September 30, 2019 and September 30, 2020.
- For the category of Product Hall of Fame, the product must have entered the market a minimum of 7 years ago. Product Hall of Fame entries are eligible for repeat entry into the competition. This award may not be given annually.
9. Photo/Video Requirements and Restrictions Photo-Editing Restrictions
Awards Requirements for All Photos/Videos
- Do not use insets in any photos.
- Basic photo editing for attributes such as color balance, brightness, cropping, etc., is acceptable.
- Inserting a stock photo into the display screen is acceptable and recommended.
- Photo editing to remove or obscure information that could identify the client or entrant is required.
- Manipulating or altering images in a way that has the potential to mislead judges about the nature of the project is unacceptable and may result in disqualification.
Copyrighted Material Notice:
- Required marketing photos must be a minimum of 8” x 10” at 300 dpi or higher resolution (i.e., a minimum of 2400px x 3000px).
- Required videos cannot be larger than 1000MB.
- For the categories of Home Cinema, Media Room, Integrated Home, Innovative Solution, Marine and Aircraft, and Special Project, company names/logos and client names must be removed from all photos/videos (using editing software if needed). No people should appear in the photos/videos.
- For the category of Product Hall of Fame, photos must be of the original version of the product, not upgraded or current versions.
- Required photos/videos must be uploaded during the entry process.
- Accepted photo file formats: .jpg, .png, .tif.
- Accepted video file formats: .avi, .mov, .mp4.
It may be tempting to add a little “movie magic” to your submission by placing a still image from a movie or television show on the display screens shown in your submitted photos. However, CEDIA advises against placing images on display screens that may contain copyrighted material, including movie/TV stills. If CEDIA believes your images may contain copyrights material, we reserve the right to decline to display your images and/or edit the images to remove/obscure the material in question. However, CEDIA assumes no obligation to police submissions for improper content. If you wish to enhance the display screens shown in your photos, we recommend using royalty-free stock images from a reputable stock photo provider.