This one-day course is designed to give students a solid understanding of lighting control fundamentals.
Lighting control installation can be a profitable area for residential integrators. However, lighting technology has advanced a great deal in recent years and it is important that systems are designed, installed, and documented correctly for long-term reliability.
This course starts by exploring lamp types, their characteristics and capabilities. A strong emphasis is placed upon the science behind the 'art' of lighting. All technical discussions reference the BS7671 electrical standards.
After discussing the theory of lighting the course moves on to a practical session. This includes testing of different dimming control types such as resistive dimming, LED, DALI and DMX.
Topics covered include:
- Understanding different lamp types
- Colour temperature
- Identifying the different transformer and ballast types
- Providing fundamental science needed for lighting control system design
- Understanding different dimming control methods
- Series vs. parallel wiring
- Power law and voltage drop
- BS7671 electrical standards